Garage Door – We Take Care of Everything
For most local homeowners, replacing an old or damaged garage door can greatly improve home security and it also enhances curb appeal and resale value. With proper installation by qualified professionals, a new garage door can make access to your garage smoother and a lot more convenient while also increasing energy efficiency.
In this comprehensive article from Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation, we’ll go over just about everything you need to know about garage door replacement. We’ll cover types of doors, prices, benefits, and other factors to consider before you start this sometimes very involved project.
Why Replace Your Garage Door? There are several reasons homeowners choose to invest in a new garage door:
- Safety sensors or other features on an older door no longer work properly
- You desire added security features like an automatic garage door opener
- Access to your garage has become difficult due to issues with tracks, springs, or a manual door
- Your existing door is outdated, worn out, or damaged beyond repair
- You want to improve the appearance and curb appeal of your home
- Your current door lacks proper insulation, leading to higher energy bills
- You need a wider or taller door to accommodate larger vehicles
Replacing an aging or problematic garage door provides an array of benefits that make it a smart investment for many homeowners. Give Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation to discus the options available.
Several variables impact the total costs of a new garage door:
- Door size and materials: Larger or customized doors cost more than standard sizes. Wood is generally the most expensive material.
- Insulation level: Doors with higher R-values provide better insulation but also have a higher price tag.
- Windows and hardware: These optional additions can enhance appearance but add to costs.
- Automatic opener: Openers provide key-less access but are an extra cost over manual operation.
- Installation: Complex installations due to size, location, or home wiring can increase labor time and fees.
- Permits: Your city may require an additional permit for garage door replacement.
Understanding these pricing considerations will allow you to budget more realistically and choose alternatives that are in line with your needs and tastes.
Choosing a Garage Door When it comes to replacing your garage door, there are two important factors to consider: the material of the door and the overall aesthetic you want to accomplish.
Average Cost of Garage Door Replacement The cost of replacing your garage door can vary greatly based on the type of door you choose and the difficulty of the installation:
|Garage Door Type||Average Installed Cost|
|Steel||$800 – $2,500|
|Wood||$2,500 – $4,500|
|Fiberglass||$2,500 – $6,000|
|Vinyl||$3,500 – $5,500|
|Aluminum||$2,000 – $4,000|
These prices include both materials and skilled installation. The final cost might vary depending on the size, bespoke designs, insulation, windows, hardware, opener systems, and other choices selected. Call Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation today. We will gladly provide you with a free quote on your job.
Types of Garage Doors Garage doors come in a range of materials, each with their own benefits and drawbacks:
- Steel: Known for durability and security. Typically the most affordable option but prone to dents.
- Aluminum: Resists rust and is very lightweight. Provides a modern, sleek look.
- Vinyl: Budget-friendly and low maintenance but can warp over time. Offers good insulation.
- Wood: The most aesthetic option with natural charm but requires heavy maintenance to prevent rot and splitting.
- Fiberglass: Mimics the look of wood without the maintenance. Provides good insulation and resists elements.
When selecting a material, assess your budget, style preferences, insulation needs, and local climate (e.g. humidity, salty coastal air).
How Much Does Professional Installation Cost? When budgeting for a new garage door, installation labor costs are a major consideration. According to Home Advisor, the average cost for professional garage door installation is $589. This can range from $200 for a straightforward installation to $1,500 for a complex undertaking requiring additional work. The primary pricing elements include:
- Door size and weight – Larger doors that require more counterbalance mechanisms will cost more in labor.
- Existing garage conditions – Adjustments for wall alignment, ceiling clearance, or electricity will add labor.
- Location – Access issues in a tight spot or installing over a second floor may increase fees in some cases.
- Special orders – Custom doors rather than pre-fabricated will take additional expertise and time to install.
When procuring installation estimates, inquire about what is included and keep an eye out for hidden fees. Verify that the installer is licensed, bonded, insured, and has garage door experience. At Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation, we are always completely transparent regarding the associated costs.
Standard Replacement Process When undertaken by professional garage door installers like Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation, the standard replacement process includes:
- Removal of old door and tracks: The existing door is uninstalled by detaching it from the opening and removing tracks and hardware.
- Preinspection and preparation: The opening is inspected, measured, and prepared for the new door, including adjustments to the framing or wiring.
- Installation of new door: The new door is put into place, tracks are fastened, and the spring and opener systems are installed and connected.
- Testing and adjustments: The door is tested to ensure smooth operation, and necessary adjustments are made to tracks, springs, and sensors.
- Cleanup: The work area is cleaned up, including hauling away old door debris.
Proper installation is crucial to ensure your new garage door operates safely with a hermetic seal and adequate balance. Always employ professional garage door installers as opposed to attempting replacement yourself.
Garage Door Styles In addition to materials, the overall look and design of your garage door significantly impacts curb appeal. Popular style options include:
- Traditional: Timeless and versatile doors with simple raised panels and decoration.
- Contemporary: Sleek, modern doors often featuring large windows and minimal ornamentation.
- Carriage House: Doors with cross-buck, recessed panels, and other details to mimic an old-fashioned carriage house aesthetic.
- Rustic: Distressed wooden doors in planked or cross-buck styles perfect for a farmhouse or cottage look.
Be sure to select a style in keeping with your home’s existing architecture and design sensibilities.
How Much Does a New Garage Door Add to Property Value? Depending on the rate of return, installing an appealing, contemporary garage door that improves curb appeal may increase the value of your home:
- According to Remodeling Magazine’s “Cost vs. Value Report,” garage door replacement has an average ROI of over 90%, one of the highest for remodeling projects.
- Real estate agents report garage doors can potentially increase resale value anywhere from 1-4% for upscale doors that wow potential home buyers.
- A poll by the National Association of Realtors found approximately 17% of prospective buyers said upgrading an old or dated garage door would positively influence their opinion of the property.
A new luxury garage door is a renovation that can pay off when selling your home because it increases the property’s curb appeal and modernizes its exterior.
Key Features to Consider Today’s garage doors offer much more beyond a simple entry and exit point. Several modern features and accessories can enhance functionality, safety, security, and convenience:
- Insulation: Doors with high insulation ratings reduce energy loss from your garage space.
- Windows: Allow natural light into garage while adding aesthetic appeal.
- Automatic openers: Provide key-less entry and operation for convenience.
- Keypad access: Allows entry without remote or keys for you and temporary access codes for others.
- WiFi integration: Enables opening/closing and monitoring of door from smartphone.
- Vehicle sensors: Detect objects obstructing the door’s path when closing to prevent injury or damage.
- Security monitoring: Alerts homeowners if the garage door is left open accidentally.
Consider how you use your garage and which features will provide the most value on a daily basis when choosing a new garage door.
How Often Does a Garage Door Typically Need Replacing? With proper maintenance and care, a standard garage door should last roughly 15-30 years before needing replacement. However, many factors impact actual lifespan:
- Materials used – Steel and fiberglass last longer than wood or vinyl.
- Installation quality – Professional installation promotes longevity.
- Climate and conditions – Harsh weather wears down doors faster.
- Frequency of use – High-traffic entrances degrade quicker.
- Regular maintenance – Lack of maintenance shortens lifespan.
- Impact damage – Vehicle collisions or objects striking door can necessitate early replacement.
Annually inspect your garage door and perform preventative maintenance to maximize its service life. Investing in durable, long-lasting materials also helps doors withstand the elements.
How Does Garage Door Replacement Impact Energy Efficiency? Adding a well-insulated garage door can make your home significantly more energy efficient in two key ways:
- Reduced air leakage – An airtight garage door reduces drafts and outside air penetrating into your garage’s interior space. This helps regulate temperature.
- Better insulation – Doors with higher R-values (a measure of insulation capability) result in less heat or cold transfer in and out of your garage.
These effects may reduce your energy costs by decreasing the heating and cooling demands put on your HVAC system. Check for the following energy efficiency indicators when selecting a door:
- R-value of 9 or higher.
- Insulated steel construction.
- Weatherstripping around perimeter to prevent air leaks.
- Thermal break between exterior and interior steel layers to reduce conduction.
- Foamed-in-place polyurethane insulation.
Investing in an insulated garage door yields long-term energy savings that can mitigate a portion of the installation expenses.
New Garage Door Design Trends Garage door designs have come a long way since the days of simple raised panels. These prevalent trends add personality to contemporary garage doors:
- Carriage house look – Doors styled with cross-buck, recessed panels, and decorative hardware for a rustic charm.
- Wood appearance – Faux wood-look steel and composite doors gain the aesthetic without the maintenance.
- Dark tones – Deep gray, black, and charcoal doors provide an upscale, eye-catching effect.
- Glass panes – Small and large windows in modern geometric shapes to add stylish balance.
- Unique materials – Specialty doors made with copper, weathered steel, stone, and high-density polyethylene (HDPE).
Look for doors that complement your home’s existing design and color scheme when replacing them.
What Are Signs You Need a New Garage Door? Before replacing a garage door, the majority of homeowners delay until it is completely inoperable. Nevertheless, there are several indications that it may be time for a new door:
- Visibly warped, cracked, or rotting panels
- Rusted or corroded tracks
- Difficulty opening and closing smoothly
- Grinding or binding when operating
- Failed insulation resulting in a cold garage interior
- Malfunctioning safety sensors and auto-reverse
- Need to get out and physically lift the door to open it
- Damage or holes from attempted break-ins
Waiting too long increases the risk of total failure, so contact garage door professionals for an evaluation if you observe any of these issues.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Garage Door? When your garage door begins to malfunction, you may be unsure whether to repair the existing door or replace it wholly. Consider the following factors when making this decision:
- Age of current door – Once a garage door hits around 20 years old, replacement often makes more economic sense long-term than continuing repairs.
- Extent of damage – Significant rust, rot, panel warping, track issues, or opener problems usually indicate replacement is the better fix.
- Cost of repairs – Ask for a repair quote. If repairs exceed 50% of the cost of a new door, replacement may be the more sensible option.
- Energy efficiency upgrade – Do you want to upgrade insulation and sealing? Replacement allows implementing energy-saving features.
- Enhanced features – Will a new door allow including windows, hardware, automated openers, WiFi, etc. that improve form and function?
For minor defects on doors that are relatively new, restorations make sense. In contrast, when multiple age, damage, and upgrade factors come into play, replacing the entire door is frequently the more prudent long-term option. Contact Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation to learn more about your available options.
Looking for the best replacement service, shop, or company near me or in my area who provides not only complete installation , but who also will replace springs, cables, rollers, openers and more? Call us! Does your opener, torsion spring, cable, chain, roller, or sensor need replaced? Call us! Searching for the top contractors, services, shops, or companies who are experienced and professional, have great reviews, who do quality work and will provide a free estimate? Call now! Need estimates on commercial overhead doors, or warranty replacements? Call us! Looking for a contractor who is affordable, and does small residential jobs? Need someone to install a new panel, whether it is made of fiberglass, metal, aluminum, or wood? Call Us!