Garage Door – Service is Important
Choosing to install a new garage door is one of the smartest investments a homeowner can make. Not only does a new garage door dramatically improve your home’s curb appeal and property value, it also enhances energy efficiency, security, and overall functionality. While a new door might seem like an unnecessary expense at first glance, the numerous benefits far outweigh the costs in the long run.
This comprehensive guide from the team at Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation will walk you through everything you need to know, from measuring your existing opening, selecting the right door type, understanding the costs and options, and ultimately navigating a professional installation. By understanding the full process, you can make the most informed decision and end up with a stunning new garage door that adds beauty and value to your home for years to come.
Preparing for Garage Door Installation
Before selecting and purchasing a new garage door, there are a few key steps every homeowner should take to prepare for installation day:
- Measure the Opening – Getting accurate measurements of your existing opening is crucial for getting a door that fits properly. Measure the height in the center, width at the top, bottom, and middle, and the depth from inside to out. Also check for level and plumb.
- Remove the Old Door – If replacing an existing door, hire professionals to remove and dispose of it prior to installation day. This also allows time to inspect and repair the underlying tracks.
- Check Headroom – Garage doors need adequate clearance to open and close properly. Standard headroom is 12″ but 15″ is recommended for larger doors.
- Inspect Tracks & Hardware – With the old door removed, thoroughly inspect tracks, springs, pulleys, rollers and hardware. Replace anything worn or damaged.
- Consider Upgrades – Determine if you want added features like insulation, windows, automatic openers, or decorative hardware. Plan ahead to accommodate wiring and electrical work if adding an automatic opener.
Taking these steps will ensure your opening is prepped and ready for smooth installation of your beautiful new garage door. If you still have questions give us a call, our professional service team at Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation will more than happy to assist you
Popular Garage Door Types, Materials and Styles
When selecting a replacement garage door, one of the biggest considerations is choosing the right door type and material for your home and needs. The most common options include:
- Steel – The most popular option, steel garage doors are both affordable and durable while offering dent-resistance and long-lasting service life. Prefinished steel doors have a baked-on finish that resists wear, fading, and rust.
- Wood – Wood doors impart a classic, elegant look and feel. They require continued maintenance including sealing and staining, but properly cared for can last for decades. Cedar and redwood are naturally rot-resistant options.
- Aluminum – Lightweight but strong, aluminum doors resist rust and dents. Sections can be painted or powder coated for a customized look. Pricing is similar to steel.
- Vinyl – Vinyl garage doors are lightweight, dent-resistant and require minimal maintenance. They have good insulation value but can discolor and warp in extreme heat.
- Fiberglass – As a composite of glass fibers and resin, fiberglass doors are extremely durable, dent-proof, and low-maintenance. The cost is higher than most options.
Popular styles include single and double doors, as well as sectional roll-up doors featuring steel, aluminum or fiberglass panels. When selecting a style, consider design elements like hardware finishes, window styles, color, and any decorative accents. Not sure which door type is best for your home? Call Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation and we can discuss your options.
Components of a Garage Door System
Garage doors are complex mechanical systems made up of several important components:
- Panels – The door sections made of steel, wood, aluminum or other materials. Available in various styles and with options like insulation and windows.
- Tracks – Vertical tracks guide the rollers and horizontal tracks that transition the door open and closed. Properly aligned and lubricated tracks are essential.
- Rollers – Steel rollers with ball bearings attach to the door panels and roll smoothly along the tracks to open and close the door.
- Spring System – Torsion springs counterbalance the weight of the door to make lifting easier. Springs should be properly tensioned for smooth operation and safety.
- Hardware – Hinges, brackets, cables, sheaves, and other hardware connect the system and allow proper functioning.
It’s crucial when installing a new garage door that each component works together seamlessly to deliver safe and reliable performance for years to come. The professional installation experts at Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation understand this intricate relationship and will ensure your new door system operates as intended.
Available Options & Upgrades
Beyond just the door itself, there are numerous options and upgrades to consider for added functionality, aesthetics, efficiency, and convenience:
- Insulation – For enhanced energy efficiency, opt for an insulated steel or vinyl door with an R-value of 12 to 18. This can help reduce heating and cooling costs.
- Windows – Windows add an attractive design detail while allowing natural light into the garage. Choose from styles like arched, square, frosted, or tinted.
- Automatic Openers – Openers provide keyless entry and allow remote operation. Helpful for accessibility and convenience.
- Decorative Hardware – Carriage house style doors include decorative handles, hinges, and other accents for added curb appeal.
- Keyless Entry – Keypads and wireless systems allow garage entry without keys for convenience.
Be sure to check with your installer on the options compatible with your selected door, as well as any electrical work needed for upgrades like automatic openers.
Cost Factors: Purchase Price, Labor, Maintenance
When budgeting for a new garage door, there are several cost factors to keep in mind:
- Door Purchase Price – This accounts for the door’s size, material, style, insulation, windows, hardware, and other options selected.
- Labor Costs – On average, professional installation costs around $300-$700. Complex installations may be higher.
- Parts/Hardware – Includes tracks, springs, rollers, cables, motor for electric openers, and any additional hardware.
- Permit Fees – Some areas require permits for garage door replacements at around $50 per permit.
- Maintenance – Factor regular costs like lubrication, tension adjustment, and sealant/stain for wood doors.
Additional costs may apply for removing an old door, repairs to the frame or tracks, custom finishes, and special installation considerations. Get an itemized estimate before committing to ensure no surprise costs. Steel doors tend to have the lowest overall cost, while wood and fiberglass doors have a higher upfront price. Call Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation for free estimates on installation of all types of garage doors
Average Costs for New Garage Door Installation
On average, homeowners spend $1,200 to $4,000 on new garage door installation, with most paying around $2,500. A standard 16×7 single-car steel door runs $600 to $2,000 including professional installation. Here’s how costs typically breakdown:
- Standard steel door, single-car – $800 to $2,000 installed
- Premium/Insulated steel door, single-car – $1,200 to $2,500 installed
- Wood door, single-car – $2,000 to $4,000 installed
- Double-car door installation – $1,500 to $3,500 total
Many factors affect overall pricing such as material, door size, Necessary repair work, optional upgrades and accessories, local labor rates, and permit fees. Request multiple quotes to find the best value fitting your budget. We think you’ll find that Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation is very competitive for the costs involved.
Key Questions to Ask Installers
When requesting quotes and meeting with potential installation professionals, make sure to ask these important questions:
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Do you provide itemized written estimates?
- What is your timeline for completion?
- Do you handle securing the necessary permit?
- What brands and product lines do you carry?
- Do you offer warranty on labor as well as materials?
- Can I see previous customer reviews and samples of your work?
Reputable contractors will have no issues providing documentation of proper credentials. Comparing multiple estimates and checking references is recommended to find the best value professional.
Preparing for Installation Day
Once you’ve selected a qualified pro and your new garage door, you’ll want to get ready for installation day. Here are a few tips:
- Fully empty the garage of all contents and vehicles beforehand.
- Sweep and clear the floor area around the door opening.
- Have any overhead lighting in place and power available.
- Plan to be home the day of installation in case any questions come up.
Ideally, the area around the opening will be clean and clear, with easy access for the installation crew and their tools. Avoid cramped spaces or clutter.
What to Expect During the Garage Door Installation Process
Installation of a new garage door system is best left to trained professionals. Here is a general overview of the process:
- Old door and opener disassembly if replacing current door.
- Inspection and repair of existing frame, tracks, and hardware.
- Assembly of new tracks, rollers, cables, and springs.
- Fitting and hanging of new door panels and system components.
- Adjustments and testing to ensure proper operation and balance.
- Motor installation and adjustments for automatic openers.
- Weather sealing and caulking around the door.
- Interior and exterior finish work like hardware, trim, and paint touch-ups.
The full process typically takes professional installers 4-8 hours depending on the door size and system. Some minor interior work may also be needed for wiring lights and automatic openers.
Post-Installation Care, Maintenance, and Warranty
Once your new garage door is professionally installed, a bit of regular care and maintenance is recommended:
- Test safety systems monthly, including auto-reverse on openers.
- Keep moving parts lubricated per manufacturer instructions.
- Inspect weather stripping and reseal as needed to prevent elements entering.
- Test door balance twice yearly and have cables/springs adjusted if needed.
- Thoroughly clean wood doors and apply sealant regularly per instructions.
Be sure to keep the original paperwork along with any provided warranty information. Reputable dealers offer 1+ year warranties on parts and labor. With proper installation and maintenance, your new garage door should provide service for 30+ years! Read Wallen Garage Door Repair and Installation reviews, our customers highly recommend our services!
Investing in a professionally installed garage door replacement can deliver significant benefits that boost your home’s curb appeal, value, energy savings, and functionality for decades to come. By taking the time to understand your options and follow the proper process, you can end up with a beautiful, high-performing door system tailored to your needs and budget. Give us a call today!
Looking for the best installation service, shop, contractor, or company near me or in my area who provide not only complete installs, but who also will install springs, cables, rollers, openers and more? Call us!
Does your opener, torsion spring, cable, chain, roller, or sensor need installed? Call us!
Searching for the top contractors, services, shops, or companies who are experienced and professional, have great reviews, who do quality work and will provide a free estimate? Call now!
Need estimates on commercial overhead doors, or warranty installations? Call us!
Looking for installers who are affordable, and do small residential jobs? Need someone to put in a new panel, whether it is made of fiberglass, metal, aluminum, or wood? Call Us!